Do you have staff taking leave over Christmas? Are systems in place to make sure everyone gets what they’re entitled to? Even if someone else handles your payroll, you are responsible for making sure holiday pay and leave payments are handled correctly.
- Whether your staff work full-time, part-time, casual, on-call, or shift work, they’re entitled to any benefits that come from working on public holidays.
- If your employee agrees to work on a public holiday that falls on a day they would normally work, they will need to be paid time and a half PLUS receive another paid day off later, otherwise known as a day in lieu. If an employee works on a public holiday, and it is not a day they would usually work, the employee is only entitled to the time and a half. The entitlement to time and a half has to be included in employment agreements.
- Employees can choose to take their day in lieu:
- on a mutually agreeable date that is not a public holiday
- on another day on which they would normally be working
- for a whole working day, regardless of how much of the public holiday they actually worked.
- If your business is having a closedown period, employees are entitled to a paid public holiday if they would ordinarily work on the day of the public holiday.
- Make sure your payroll system:
- is flexible enough to handle different working arrangements (eg, changing employee work schedules)
- records all relevant time worked and payments made
- has accurate and up-to-date information.
- If you realise an employee hasn’t been paid the right amount, be up front and correct the mistake immediately.
At JZR, we believe in getting the basics right, which is why we use Smart Payroll. Based in New Zealand, Smart Payroll is a cloud based software that makes it simple to pay employees and contractors and send reports to the IRD. At the click of a button all calculations are done and your employees are paid. PAYE and Kiwisaver is also included with the program and at the end of it all, your reports are filed with the IRD, so you don’t have to remember a thing. We have a dedicated payroll solutions service designed to take care of your payroll hassles. Please get in touch with us at email@example.com or call us on 09-9722236 if you want to find out more.
The year 2020 and the world’s current economic status has taken a battering with the outbreak of COVID-19. With governments racing to create relief and incentive schemes for local businesses, the purpose of this article is to simply outline all the key tax changes and...
A new Resurgence Wage Subsidy Scheme payment has been announced by the government for employers and self-employed people who have been impacted by the recent resurgence of COVID-19. What Is The Eligibility Criteria? All New Zealand employers who have had or expect to...
If you own a property which is being rented out for short stays (up to four weeks) this article will highlight all your necessary tax commitments, as well as all the new property rules which might come into effect this financial year. Highlights: If your tax due at...
Stay Up to Date With The Latest News & Updates
Join Our Newsletter
Stay up to date with all of the latest news and insights related to your business. Sign up below and we promise to only send you content